Saturday, October 29, 2011

Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

by Donald Miller
Hennepin County Library paperback 240 pages
genre: theology

I would love to do this one for our SOLC book club! It was challenging and frustrating. I really enjoyed the first one hundred or so pages. Miller's take on faith and modern day Christianity interested me and made me think about my own faith. Then the author seemed to fall into a whiny, selfish, pathetic mode that just turned me off.

One part I liked: "That is the thing about giving yourself to God. Some people get really emotional about it, and some people don't feel much of anything except the peace they have after making an important decision." I love the feeling of peace. (But then, I also love the intense emotion that often comes with a move of the Holy Spirit.)

He made a lot of interesting points (on Unitarians, hippies, etc.) but I don't agree with him completely. This is a great food-for-thought book.

No comments: