Monday, February 21, 2011

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt

by Anne Rie
Hennepin County Library, audioCDs
genre: Christian Fiction
read by Josh Heine

Never having read any of Rice's famous vampire books, I was curious about her Christian writing. Her personal testimony is powerful and exciting and she has dedicated the rest of her career to glorifying God. However, I didn't even finish the first CD of this story. Perhaps it's because I just forced myself to listen to another story I didn't enjoy, but I just couldn't force myself to finish this one.

She starts with Jesus as a 7-year-old in Egypt. There is so little in Scripture about Christ's childhood, but it just seemed bizarre to me that he would lose his temper in a game, kill someone, bring that person back to life, and have no clue about His identity or source of power. . . I found myself thinking that I'd rather read Scripture than this story about Jesus Christ. It reminded me a lot of the book about Luke I read earlier this year.

I guess I like my fiction to be fictional. . . although I do enjoy historical fiction. This blending of imagination and Truth just doesn't work for me. Though I'm still really glad that Rice has turned her life over to Jesus.

No comments: