Monday, February 21, 2011

Popcorn Days & Buttermilk Nights

by Gary Paulsen
PRMS LA hardcover 100 pages
genre: YA coming of age

I think my sixth grade book club is going to have a hard time with this. I picked it because I had never read it before, it's short, and I had multiple copies. As much as I love Paulsen, this one was odd. The preface has someone coming into "Norsten" Minnesota. Part of that setting includes a burned-out smithy . . . and then the story starts and we learn that Carly is a troubled boy from Minneapolis who comes to stay with his uncle. I spent the whole book waiting for Carly to accidentally (or on purpose) burn down the smithy. Nope. He is reformed from his bad ways by hard work, seeing the poverty of his relatives, and helping David to build a carnival. Some lyrical passages, but not much in the way of a story.

No comments: