Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Omnivore's Dilemma: The Secrets Behind What You Eat

the Young Reader's Edition
by Michael Pollan
adapted by Richie Chevat
PRMS, hardcover, 298 pages
genre: Non-fiction, food science / agribusiness

Wow. This was a very thought-provoking book. It made me happier than ever that we participate in a CSA. And buy our beef from a local farmer. It makes me want to try harder to eat healthier and closer to home. The biggest shocker to me was the power of corn, the corn subsidies, and the fact that cows don't naturally eat corn! Their stomachs deal with a diet of grasses, and being fed corn is part of the agribusiness unnaturalness that this book covers. The author talked about point to point development of food within the industrial, organic industrial, beyond organic, and hunter/gatherer models. Powerful stuff. Makes me think about what I'm eating!

No comments: