Saturday, September 11, 2010

Benny & Shrimp

by Katarina Mazetti
Hennepin County Library, paperback, 209 pages
translated from Swedish by Sarah Death
genre: relationships

Kathy Giesen had this on her kitchen counter and I was curious, so I got a copy too. It was odd - the two main characters meet in a cemetery. Benny is visiting his mother's grave and Shrimp is at her husband's grave. Their first impressions of one another are not positive. Their relationship grows into a romance that's all wrong. He wants her to move out to the farm with him and help him run his household. She wants him to give up his farm to live with her in the city. She's a librarian, but that wasn't enough to make her a likable character for me. She came across as selfish and inconsiderate. I think Benny's better off without her. Weird book, but I'm glad I read it.

No comments: