Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Battle for Skandia

by John Flanagan
PRMS hardcover 294 pages
genre: fantasy adventure

I'm so glad Halt's back in the thick of things! Will, Halt, and Horace save Evanlyn from the marauders (Temujai) and end up helping to save Skandia as well. I like the strategy of the battle and Slagor's comeupance. These books are kind of addicting. (Louie is reading book 3, which I haven't blogged about yet) right now.

 

<Above published 9.11.10. Below added 5.16.23.>

 

Libby ebook.

 

Yep. I plowed right through books 1-4 and am currently on book 5. Addicting!


Chapter 40: "'I'm so sorry, everyone. But if you ever knew my grandmother, you'd understand why my grandfather might have been tempted! Grandma had a face like a robber's dog - and a temperament to match it!'"


Cassandra is not behaving in a very princess-like manner here, but she definitely helped Halt reconcile with her father, King Duncan. Her outburst made me laugh. She has just spent a year as a captive of a rough, raiding tribe of people . . . so her manners may take a while to revert to polite courtliness.


Chapter 40: " . . . Halt's tonsorial efforts."


I don't see that word often, but the fact that Halt's hair looks as though he's hacked it off with his belt knife . . . great use of context to teach vocab, Mr. Flanagan!

No comments: