Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Touch of Grace

by Lauraine Snelling
Hennepin County Library audioCD 11.5 hours
read by Stina Nielsen
historical fiction / Christian / romance

I cannot believe I even got this one! From the cover, it looked a lot like Janette Oke-style storytelling or one of those Amish romances that drive me nuts. But I did. And no matter how crazy it made me, I listened to the whole thing! Grrr. What a poor use of drive time.

Repetitive, over-wrought, and maddening. The narrator's voice was fantastic - she created the characters and related the story effectively. But the writing was . . . did I already say this? . . . repetitive!!! The exact same phrases were used as the main character, Grace, contemplated her feelings for Toby, suffered over whether or not her sister had forgiven her, and wondered about Jonathan's intentions.

Jonathan, his sister, and their spunky neighbor were my favorite characters. I liked the lack of swearing and crudity.

No comments: