Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Dive from Clausen's Pier

by Ann Packer
Dakota County Library, hard cover, 370 pages

Carrie Bell has been ambivalent about her relationship with Mike, her job, her future . . . and then a group of friends picnic up at Clausen's Pier. When Mike dives in, he breaks his neck in the shallow water. Now Carrie's dilemma gets even tougher.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. There was enough to pull me along to see what happened next. At the conclusion, though, I was disappointed. Carrie didn't seem to grow or change as a character at all. She didn't seem to ever figure out what she really wants out of life. She just went along, drifting from one situation to the next, hurting others and apologizing profusely.

I look forward to the book club discussion, but don't know how I'd rate this book. At times, it was quite engaging.

No comments: