Sunday, March 08, 2009

Spelldown

by Karon Luddy
CMSW, hardcover, 211 pages

I see why the elementary schools unloaded their copies of this! The protagonist, Karlene Bridges, is a foul-mouthed, horny eighth grader. Though I found some of it offensive, (especially her loose use of the Lord's name as one of her many swear words), there were some redeeming qualities. The power of love speaks loudly throughout this book. Karlene's love of her older sister, the Harrisons' loving home in contrast to Karlene's more difficult home life, and ultimately, Karlene's love for her alcoholic father.

Billy Ray was my favorite character - so sweet, gentle, and strong. The wordaphile in me LOVED the words and definitions sprinkled throughout the book. (Yes, I know I invented a word there.) The Latin class was a cool piece, too. Definitely a good book for my brainy, mature kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe the author of this book would agree with you that the Corporate GOONS and their infinite wisdom royally screwed this up by forcing the YOUNG adult label. It should be said that I am related to the author and that I know personally the misery she went through trying to get the the (suits) publisher to understand that this book was for an older audience. To prove this point I have taken the liberty to rewrite your review as if it had fallen in to your hands as an adult book with the Oprah stamp on it.

"The power of love speaks loudly throughout this book. Karlene's love of her older sister, the Harrisons' loving home in contrast to Karlene's more difficult home life, and ultimately, Karlene's love for her alcoholic father.

Billy Ray was my favorite character - so sweet, gentle, and strong. The wordaphile in me LOVED the words and definitions sprinkled throughout the book. (Yes, I know I invented a word there.) The Latin class was a cool piece, too. Definitely a good book.

Thank you for pointing out the truth about this books Marketing Handicap . It is my believe that this book will one day take on another life in the hands of mature audience. FYI I Know that Karon would love the fact that you invented a word "wordaphile".
Thank you for taking the time to read and review this book.