Sunday, March 15, 2009

Brave New World

by Aldous Huxley
CMSW, hardcover, 177 pages

This took me a while to get through, as short as it is! I wanted to read it at the same time that Nick was reading it for British literature class, but I had to force myself to pick it up and read a few pages. I don't like this book. It falls into the same category as 1984 and other bleak writings from earlier this century. I should really research more about the political and ideological landscape of this time period . . . I realize there are good reasons for the inclusion of these titles in classical "canon" lists.

In a nutshell, this book illuminates a future world of constant (but not deep) happiness, since all humans are programmed constantly to be content with their lot in life. Science has created a false utopia with the drug soma relieving any negative thoughts or feelings that do come up. Bernard is different from other people and wants to experience things for himself. When he and Lenina visit a reservation with savages, he brings home John who has grown up as a "savage," but is the most civilized person at all. The story ends tragically.

I'd still love to talk with Nick about this one . . . I wonder what he thought of it.

No comments: