Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (her niece)
hardcover, mine, 278 pages

I'll have to blog later. I'm running out of time! Excellent book. Swept me up.

Later:
Told entirely in letters, this story of a young woman dealing with post-WWII emotions captivated me. Juliet Ashton is the central character who is drawn to the island of Guernsey, which was occupied by German forces during the war. Just a lovely, lovely book! There were times I almost made a "cheat sheet" of all the different characters, but I read it quickly enough (on the beach in Naples, Florida) that I was able to keep it all straight. The romance, the history, the characters - all made it a delightful read! This is our CMSW book club title for March. I look forward to the discussion!

1 comment:

Mr.Rother said...

I just finished this one not too long ago!! I picked it up about a month ago and read 10 pages and set it down because I couldn't follow. I think it was just a bad time, because I picked it up after Sarah said you were doing it for book club and loved it this time. I really fell in love with the island!