Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Shack

by William P. Young
paperback, personal copy, 248 pages

I enjoyed this book quite a bit, but it's not one of my top tens. I enjoyed our book club discussion even more than reading the book itself! Most of us felt that it was primarily a story about God's love and desire for relationship with us. Some felt that it was purposefully trying to "rock" people's preconceived notions. It was interesting to hear about some Christians' objections to the book. It almost seems like some folks are going out of their way to find something to object to.

Mack's beloved youngest daughter has been abducted and brutally murdered, the body never found. "The Great Sadness" descends on him until he finds a note in his mailbox from "Papa," his wife's name for God. Not sure what he'll find, Mack returns to the site of the crime to get some answers. There, he encounters three beings who change his life.

I almost didn't finish the book before the book club got to my house! I was glad I did, though, because there was a surprise twist at the end. This is definitely a worthwhile read. Many of us would love to hear a non-believer's perspective on it.

No comments: