Wednesday, August 20, 2008

David Gospel

by David Athey

Lake Agassiz Regional Library, 269 pages, paperback



Very strange book. Still not sure if I like it. From the back flap:

"As a boy he performed concerts singing old-time hymns with his family and got so famous he's still known around Iowa as Danny Gospel. But since then, things haven't worked out quite teh way he planned. And now Danny prays for just one thing: a normal, happy life."



Most of the book felt like a study of dysfunction! This was so unusual, but it drew me in and drew me forward. I wanted so much to see things get "normal" for Danny, and I wanted to understand how his family fell apart. For the most part, the story seemed to be progressing and leading somewhere, but the ending left me feeling gypped. There were so many unanswered questions! It was frustrating, and I wished I could have talked about it with another reader.

No comments: