Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Shackleton's Stowaway

by Victoria McKernan
Dakota County Library, paperback, 317 pages
Maud Hart Lovelace nominee

Wow. This would be an amazing story even without most of it being completely true. To know that these men actually survived in Antarctica for two years without our modern-day technologies just astounds me. This fictionalized story of the Shackleton south pole attempt centers on 18-year old Perce Blackborow who has stowed away on the expedition. Very cool. Of course, now I want to read a non-fiction book to find out what the author changed. I loved the maps and other information at the end of the story, too.

1 comment:

Cindy Ottinger said...

Hi Mrs. LaMoore-
I didn't have a book to read as break started and Mitchell handed me this one. I am so glad he did. I thoroughly enjoyed it. If I didn't know it was true, I would never believe any of it could happen.

Now I will have to follow your lead and read a non-fiction book about the events. I enjoy your 'thinking aloud' about your books.