Monday, February 20, 2023

Heirlooms

by Sandra Byrd

Libby audiobook 10 hours

read by: Melie Williams

Published: 2022

Genre: Christian historical fiction

 

This book was less enjoyable due to the narrator's voice. I now have a print copy, but am unsure if I am going to read it. Her voice was perfect for minor character Annika, who is autistic. It did not vary enough for Cassidy, Helen, or Eunhee. Disappointing.

 

The modern part of the story is about Cassidy inheriting the farm property when her grandmother Helen dies. Her best friend Grace needs to study to pass the bar exam. Cassidy needs to figure out how to do what she loves, save the farm, and pay the bills. Her old love interest, Nick, also plays an important role. (As do Annika and her friend DJ, who both work at the farm.)

 

The 1950s part of the story focuses on Helen, a Navy widow and a nurse. She is contacted by recently widowed Eunhee with a request for help. The two women forge a strong bond and each has the courage to step into new roles.

 

Liked the best: the cookbook with its recipes and personal notes. Annika's photography. The food Cassidy made. The happy ending. Grace finding her area of law. Grace's grandfather saying that he knew Eunhee's secret.

 

Liked the least: Captain Adams and all men of his ilk. The awkward way Cassidy approached problem-solving.  The sleazy banker.


(Below added on 2.28.23)

Since I hadn't read the print version by book club discussion last night, I'm moving on. I did read and appreciate the author's note, however. I wonder why that isn't included in the audio version. I re-read the first two chapters before last night and I am confident I would have enjoyed the book significantly more if I had experienced it in print rather than audio! Too bad, but this is headed back to the library. On to the next book!

No comments: