Sunday, February 05, 2023

I'm No Philosopher, But I Got Thoughts: Mini-Meditations for Saints, Sinners, and the Rest of Us

by Kristin Chenoweth

Libby audiobook 3 hours

intro written by Arianna Grande and read by Melinda Sewak

book read by the author

Published: 2023

Genre: part memoir, part advice, part philosophy


I'd heard of Kristin Chenoweth, but didn't know much about her. This book was available as an audiobook and it was short, so I checked it out. It was pretty interesting!


For some reason, I was surprised by her expressions of faith in God. True, she seems to be comfortable with forming her faith to what works for her . . . but it was a refreshing mix of faith, her perspective, and some saucy observations. I enjoyed it and learned a bit, too!

 

Since it's an audiobook, there were "notes" that I made in my head that won't make it into this blog entry. At 46 minutes, she shares a song list of upbeat music. It took me a while to find the place to list the songs here:

"Playlist for a Life Gone Sideways"

  • "Oh Happy Day" - Edwin Hawkins Singers - Youtube
  • "Heroes" - David Bowie - Youtube
  • "Back in Baby's Arms" - Patsy Cline - Youtube
  • "Raspberry Beret" - Prince - Youtube
  • "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor - Youtube
  • "Walking on Sunshine" - Katrina and the Waves - Youtube
  • "Hail, Holy Queen" - the nuns in Sister Act - Youtube
  • "9 to 5" - Dolly Parton - Youtube
  • "Free" - All Right Now - Youtube (I've listened to her say this almost a dozen times. It sounds like she's saying "Free - Alternaton" but I can't find that song by that name . . . )
  • "Unwritten" - Natasha Bedingfield - Youtube
  • "No Tears Left to Cry" - Ariana Grande - Youtube

 

She loves music and lives through her music! She's a very good storyteller.

 

I jotted down her "Simple Prayer for Starting Over": "Oh Lord, help me get off my butt, on my feet, over myself. Amen"

 

It would be interesting to read this book in print. It's quick and has a great mix of wisdom, fluff, and personal memoir. 



No comments: