Monday, February 20, 2023

How to Make Your Money Last: The Indispensable Retirement Guide

by Jane Bryant Quinn

Libby audiobook 12:30 hours

AND my personal copy hardcover 348 pages

read by: Amanda Carlin

Published: 2015 (audio version 2016)

Genre: non-fiction finance advice


I got this audiobook back when I just wanted something to have on my phone while I drive. The narrator's voice is incredible and I enjoyed listening . . . but often I wanted to skip ahead (like the social security section on "if you were born prior to 1953" . . .). Sometimes the topics were just too complex for me to wrap my brain around, though she does explain things clearly.


I remembered this title and knew that I had loaned my print copy to a friend. I got that back but kept listening. Basically, I've listened to more than three-fourths of this book and have read about 100 pages of the book. I'm blogging just to be done for now.


I love love love that she offers different scenarios! In the health insurance chapter, she says, "If you haven't worked long enough to quality for Medicare, . . . " "If you 're in a Part D drug plan. . . " She does that for each of the sections to offer advice whether you have very few resources or great wealth.


I would love for Louie to read this book so we could talk about the topics! I don't think this is necessarily a cover-to-cover book to read. Here are the chapter headings:

The Joy and Challenge of Life After Work

Rightsize Your Life

How to Double Your Social Security Income (Well, Almost)

Getting the Most from Your Health Insurance  - Before and After 65

Pensions Are for Stre-e-e-etching

Should You Buy Yourself a Pension?

Powering Your Retirement Savings Plans

The Speed Limit on Retirement Spending: Still 4 Percent?

Investing for Income: Not What You Think

Home Sweet Income-Producing Home

Living on Your Life Insurance

Just Tell Me What to Do


I'm really enjoying her advice, wisdom, and experience in these matters!

No comments: