Wednesday, February 23, 2022

A World Below

 by Wesley King

Scott County Library paperback 258 pages

Published: 2018

Genre: YA fantasy . . . sort of


This is one of this year's Maud Hart Lovelace nominees. It's told from three main characters' POV - Eric, Carlos, and Silvia. In some ways, I really liked the individual characters' growth (especially Silvia). In other ways, it just wasn't a book that captivated me. 


I thought about Shusterman's Downsiders and DuPrau's The City of Ember as I was reading this. The idea of a group of people living underground is not new. How did they get there? Why do they live there now? How do they get the raw materials for life? There are lots of questions to answer.


King does a fine job; his story just didn't resonate for me personally. I liked how Eric's isolation was challenged and how he and Carlos became friends. The ending leaves the possibility open for a sequel.

No comments: