Tuesday, February 01, 2022

The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise

by Dan Gemeinhart

Scott County Library paperback 341 pages

Published: 2019

Genre: YA realistic fiction


One of this year's Maud Hart Lovelace nominees, this book was delightful and the main character an absolute sweetheart.


Coyote and her dad (but don't call him that!) Rodeo have traveled the United States for the past five years since Coyote's mom and two sisters were killed in a car accident. Rodeo wants to look forward and forget the past, but their wandering lifestyle means Coyote doesn't have friends or a place to call home other than their converted school bus "Yager." (So named because it was a Voyager bus and some letters were removed. . . )


From the back cover:

"Coyote hasn't been home in all that time. But when she learns that the park in her old neighborhood is being demolished - the very same park where she, her mom, and her sisters buried a treasured memory box - she devises an elaborate plan to get her dad to get her dad to drive 3,600 miles back to Washington State . . . without him realizing it."

"Along the way, they'll pick up a strange crew of misfit travelers. Lester has a lady love to meet. Salvador and his mom are looking to start over. Val needs a safe place to be herself. And then there's Gladys . . . "


I really enjoyed this story, but was sad for Coyote and how long it took for her to get her dad to realize what she needed.


page 123 - "I am not a mess. I am not a joke. I am not fragile. I am not broken."


This scene between Coyote and Salvador (and their conversation the next morning) was absolutely heart-wrenching.


page 160 - "Sometimes trusting someone is about the scariest thing you can do. But you know what? It's a lot less scary than being all alone."


When she confides in Lester and Salvador about her true goal, their support and encouragement are transformative for Coyote.


Page 179 - "Salvador sat with Ivan in his lap and scratched his head, and Ivan leaned into it and started purring and I saw Salvador's shoulders relax just a tad. Cat therapy works."


This made me think of all the cat lovers in my life!


Page 246 - "I loved that man, watching him talking for me by the side of the road. And I knew he loved me, too. Because that's what love is. Caring about what the other person cares about because you care about them. And want them to be happy. Right?"


When Lester is trying to help Coyote by getting the parts for the bus (its brakes went out!) so that she can get to the park before the demolition starts, it's such a sweet scene.


Page 316-7 - oh my! Gladys made me laugh out loud! That goat was a great bit of comic relief. 


This book was sweet and I only have two more MHL nominees to read before I "pick" my favorite. (Only kids get to actually vote.)

No comments: