Monday, January 10, 2022

Maybe a Mermaid

by Josephine Cameron 

Libby audiobook 6 hours

Read by Karissa Vacker

Published:2020

Genre: YA realistic fiction 


Anthoni Gillis is eleven years old and learning the ins and outs of MLM scheme "Beauty and the Bee" from her ambitious mother. Going to the Showboat Resort on Thunder Lake should be her golden opportunity to make a "True Blue" friend, but things don't work out as her plan entails.


I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I even cried at one part! It's very juvenile in some regards (geared to upper elementary or young middle schoolers), but it actually has some really neat themes and scenes.


I LOVED:

- the characters! Especially Charlotte.

- the unexpected twist that made me cry

- the details - butterfly clip, DJ's rocks, the photographs in frames, Josh's floaties, . . .

- the friendships


I didn't love:

- the whole MultiLevel Marketing scheme crap

- how Anthoni was moved around so much and her mom just wanted her to work on having a positive attitude

- the closet scene at the Quinn's house . . . 

 

The reader did a great job. I actually re-listened to a few chapters because I was on the road and didn't have a different audiobook ready. I look forward to reading more of Cameron's work!



No comments: