Friday, June 19, 2020

Garden Spells

by Sarah Addison Allen
Scott County Library audiobook 7 CDs
read by Susan Ericksen
genre: paranormal romance / realistic fiction with magic (?)

I borrowed this book in print and audio for my sister for her book club. (Scott County Libraries were ahead of Hennepin County with curbside pickup during this Covid-19 pandemic.) I started to read the print book out of curiosity but had to return it for someone else before I could finish it so I "read" the audiobook.

What I liked: the relationships of the sisters and Evanelle, the descriptions of the food Claire prepared and the properties of different plants, and the storytelling that kept me wondering how things would work out.

What I disliked: Claire's reluctance to trust, the whole magic piece

Odd notes (for my pleasure - sorry blog readers):
  • Claire Waverly - main character
  • Evanelle - gives things to people before they need them; can't help it
  • Sydney - took off at age 18
  • Lorelei - Claire's and Sydney's mom - also took off as a teen; was not a good mother
  • David's abuse of Sydney - horrible!  Glad he didn't hurt Bay.
  • flowers, smells, magic . . . 
  • Emma Clark / Clark women and sex - really?
  • I love Hunter John! What a wonderful man (and not how I expected him to react at all) . . . but Emma and her mom - yuk!
  • Loved the part where Evanelle gave Sydney 50 cents . . . and how she chose to use it. That scene completely redeemed her for me . . . 
  • David - what an awful man. And the way this ended. Wow.
  • Bay - seeing colors, knowing where things belong . . . 
  • The apple tree - one of the best characters!

This is a very well-written book. The narrator did a fine job with the voice work. Even though there are a lot of characters, the way they're introduced into the story works well and I didn't get confused about who was who.

No comments: