Friday, June 19, 2020

Ready Player One

by Ernest Cline
Scott County Library paperback 372 pages
genre: SciFi, dystopian future
published 2011

I had enjoyed the movie so much that I finally got the book to read! Typically, I'm adamant about reading the book first before watching the movie . . . and in this case, my original affinity for the movie made me really notice the differences in the book! My daughter-in-law Angela loved the book for that exact reason - she read it before seeing the movie and prefers it.

In essence, the story isn't different, but the movie specifics are extremely different! From the first key to the last, (and even some basic character issues such as when Art3mis and Parzival meet face to face), the book and movie are radically different.

Okay, enough with that! You get the point. I'm not entirely sure why this story resonates so strongly with me. I don't really enjoy video games. I definitely love the 80s pop culture references. I always love the David and Goliath aspect of the underdogs winning. This was a debut novel for Cline and it makes me curious to read his next book, Armada.

I only marked two places. One was disappointing to me. Early in the book when we're becoming acquainted with Wade Watts, the protagonist, he says, "The whole God thing is actually an ancient fairy tale that people have been telling one another for thousands of years. We made it all up. Like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny." It's telling, though, that the one human being that Wade actually respects, cares about, and responds to is Mrs. Gilmore. "She was a sweet old lady in her mid-seventies, and she always seemed to get up ridiculously early. . . . Mrs. G. was super-religious and spent most of her time in the OASIS, sitting in the congregation of one of those big online megachurches, singing hymns, listening to sermons, and taking virtual tours of the Holy Land. . . . She was always praying for me too. Trying her hardest to save my soul. I never had the heart to tell her that I thought organized religion was a total crock. It was a pleasant fantasy that gave her hope and kept her going . . . "

The other spot made me smile and wonder if Wil Wheaton has read the book and how he responded. On page 201, it says, "It was also time to elect the president and VP of the OASIS User Council, but that was a no-brainer. Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade." (The preceding paragraphs on the pointlessness of the U.S. government elections are pretty depressing.) "The once-great country into which I'd been born now resembled its former self in name only. It didn't matter who was in charge. Those people were rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic and everyone knew it."

This was a fascinating book and worth a re-read at some point. I'd love to talk with Angela about it sometime.

 

<I wrote the above 6.19.2021. Less than a year later, I recently re-read it and re-watched the movie . . . more on that below!>

 

I marked a few spots that are different from the ones above. When Ogden Morrow is being interviewed about Halliday's contest (page 118), he goes off on IOI.

". . . The last thing Jim would have wanted is for his creation to fall into the hands of a fascist multinational conglomerate like IOI."

"Mr. Morrow, IOI owns this network . . . "

"Of course they do!" Morrow shouted gleefully. "They own practically everything! Including you, pretty boy! I mean, did they tattoo a UPC code on your ass when they hired you to sit there and spout their corporate propaganda?"

The reporter began to stutter, glancing nervously at something off camera.

"Quick!" Morrow said. "You better cut me off before I say anything else!" He broke up into gales of laughter just as the network cut his satellite feed.


This is so close to truth that it's almost scary . . . Big companies have tremendous amounts of power. 


I also marked the spot where Wade decides to force himself to exercise so he doesn't get too heavy (picture the humans in "Wall-E"). "So I made a snap decision and enabled the voluntary OASIS fitness lockout software on my rig. I'd regretted it almost immediately." Here's the page . . . again, this seems so true to life. Some of the technologies in this book are futuristic and some are real now. I ***almost*** wish I had the ability to have technology force me to get some exercise . . .



 














Watching the movie again made me decide that I like some things about the book better and some things about the movie better. I could see me doing a VENN diagram of the differences and similarities . . . but I won't!


I now have Cline's Ready Player Two from the library. I've heard awful reviews, but still plan to read it!

No comments: