Friday, June 19, 2020

The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington

by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch
Scott County Library audiobook 9 CDs
read by Scott Brick
genre: non-fiction, history

This was an interesting change of pace. I disliked studying history as a teenager, and so have many gaps in my knowledge. (And we can *all* grow in our understanding of the past!) The authors told their story primarily in chronological order and it is fact-based BUT with unnecessary (in my opinion) dramatizations. For example, the subtitle . . . and we learn that there were allusions to a murder plot, but not clear evidence of it. The plotters may have just been planning to kidnap or disrupt (definitely disrupt) Washington's efforts.

Governor William Tryon reminded me of President Trump.
I would love to learn more about Henry Knox and what he did during the Revolution. (Bringing cannons from Ticonderoga to Boston . . . brilliant! Plus, he was a book store owner. I love him already.)
It was interesting to hear the Loyalists / Patriots language . . . it made me think of current identities in American society . . . and what it mean to be patriotic.
I would also love to read more about George Washington himself. The importance of integrity and honor - what great qualities!
Gilbert Forbes, the gun smith; Thomas Hickey, the hanged Irishman; and others were involved in the plot against Washington. Interesting that Hickey was the example . . . because he was Irish and they were less valued than others? It would be nice if we had even more first person accounts of the events.

Thomas Paine's Common Sense was so influential! It may be time for me to focus on reading and thinking about this document . . . Published in January of 1776, it was instrumental in marshaling people's opinions in favor of the colonies' separation from Great Britain.

Also an interesting parallel to modern events: the crowds tore down the George III statue! Mob behavior, symbolism, history repeating itself, . . . .lots to talk about here!

By the last part of the book, the sensationalism started to bother me. Was it in the writing or in the reader's inflection? Was it an attempt to make history more exciting? The authors' interview at the end gave a little insight. Josh did most of the research and drafting. Brad was more the dramatist . . . and now I need to see which other Brad Melzer books I've read because I definitely recognize the name!

No comments: