Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Geography Club

by Brent Hartinger
Hennepin County Library paperback 226 pages
genre: YA realistic fiction, LGBTQ

Russel hasn't told anyone he's gay - not his parents, not his best friends Min and Gunnar, and keeping this secret has been challenging. Then he "meets" someone in an online chat room and decides to meet IRL (in real life). The joys and fears of this teen are lived out on an hourly, daily, weekly basis.

What I liked: a group of "outcasts" creating a club so "boring" no one will want to join (The Geography Club), Min as a character - my favorite!

What I disliked: the general immaturity of Russel and the simplicity of the story line. I just don't see teens making the decisions they did . . . but I think for kiddos struggling with the issues of being gay in a primarily straight world, it might resonate. Having seen active gay-straight alliances in middle schools and high schools for a while now, the community in this book seems a bit different than what I've observed.

No comments: