Tuesday, December 03, 2019

A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power

by Jimmy Carter
read by the author
Scott County Library audiobook 6 CDs
genre: non-fiction

There are things I really liked about this book for the first two CDs . . . and others I'd love to discuss with other readers. I had to stop listening, however, because as much as I typically like audiobooks read by the author, this one was too difficult to understand. I'm not sure how much of that is due to his age and how much is because of the Southern drawl, but his lack of enunciation meant that I often was not really certain of what he was saying. If I'm not sure if that was a "did" or a "didn't," the meaning is different! I've decided to pass on this book for now.

I do like and admire that Carter unabashedly proclaims Jesus as his Lord and savior. I love that he and his wife Rosalyn have spent their post White House years in service (Habitat for Humanity). I liked the parts where he shared his personal experiences and stories growing up in the South and in the governor's mansion. I just struggled to listen to his voice that much.


I found a scrap of paper with some notes.
- Jimmy Carter's voice - accent and lack of enunciation plus age - hard to understand - had to really focus on it
- like his personal stories better than legislation or U.N. policy info
- basic HUMAN rights, peace
- post WWII "growing acceptance of violence and warfare" . . . I don't remember what he was referring to . . . 

No comments: