Tuesday, October 01, 2019

All Manner of Things

by Susie Finkbeiner
Hennepin County Library paperback 436 pages
genre: Christian historical fiction

Oh my. I loved this book. I need to find more by this author, because she crafts a story with well-developed characters and a wonderful plot. Set primarily in the late 1960s, the book focuses on Annie Jacobson and her family.

I most especially loved the letters - from Mike to his family, from Annie to Frank, from Walt to Annie . . . these were insightful, heart-rending, and I would have liked even more!

The characters were amazing - my favorites are Annie, Bernie, Mike, David, Joel, mom, Oma, Joceyln, . . . I even ended up appreciating Rose, Frank, Grandma, and Walt!

*** There are some spoilers below.***

Page 83 - "Mom pursed her lips in irritation and made her way to the door. I followed after her, thinking how exhausting it must be to hold so tightly to conflict." The way she expresses this is so very true. Holding tightly to conflict can indeed be exhausting.

Page 150 - "Forgiveness would take time." This resonated especially after the Thrive conference and the emphasis on forgiveness.

Page 248 - "But underneath that crusty attitude and gruff grimace was a tenderhearted man who had made it his business to take Mike and me under his wing. And he'd taught us more about what a godly man was than any sermon could have." Yes! I loved Bernie! And the way he lived his life was truly a sermon of love.

Page 257 - "Of all the things in the world that Mom had in plenteous supply, it was opinions. She held to them stringently, never wavering from them even if they were proved to be wrong. One such strongly adhered to opinion was that, under no circumstances, should Christmas decorations be put up before Thanksgiving. And, if she'd had her druthers, never before December first." This made me think of Jodi!!! Times of year and types of food or decorations are a big deal for some people.

Page 316 - When Annie and her mom are having a conversation about Walt and mom says, "What does a boy like him want with a girl like you?" After misunderstanding her mom's meaning, Annie and her mom have a great conversation about Annie and her worth. "There's depth to you. The soul inside you is startlingly beautiful. . . . don't let him make you forget who you are."

Page 350 - Mike's letter to Annie is so incredible. I love when he describes the war and says, "We weren't made for this. I can't believe that God created us for all this death and destruction. War wasn't his idea. I'll be he hates it more than I do even." Yes, I agree. God must hate war.

Page 388 - Another letter from Mike to Annie. "I've been reading my Bible a lot more lately. On days that are especially hard, it just seems to help me breathe again. Did you know Oma sent me a pocket-sized one a couple of months ago? It's been a real life saver the past few weeks."


Page 417 - This was the scene that made me cry the most. When Aunt Rose tells Annie, "I know how much you loved him." (Loved - past tense.) Annie is upset and talks with her Oma. Their conversation was meaningful:
"Is it wrong if I still love him?" I asked.
"Well, I don't think so." She took my hand. "Are we not made for eternity?"
I nodded.
"Then Mike still is," she said. "Even if he isn't here in this house or riding a helicopter over the jungle or doing who knows what, he still is."
My shoulders curled down but Oma caught me, her arms stronger than I ever expected them to be.
 "You can love him," she whispered through my crying. "It's right to."
I let her hold me, her words stuck in my head.
Mike still is.


No comments: