Thursday, October 10, 2019

The Aviator's Wife

by Melanie Benjamin
Scott County Library audiobook 13 CDs
read by Lorna Raver
genre: historical fiction

This book told from the perspective of Anne Morrow Lindbergh has been fascinating and frustrating. I've already gone online to look up some info . . . so far, it seems very historically accurate. I want to read something actually written by AML now - perhaps Gift from the Sea.

Charles Lindbergh comes across as an arrogant jerk. Anne at times seems pathetic and other times powerful. The best parts (to me) are her early years as an ambassador's daughter (including their courtship) and the section on the "baby's" kidnapping. To me, a twenty-month old is a toddler, but that's quibbling. How incredibly awful for them to go through such a horrific event. (Side note - I hate that there are still so many questions about Hauptman and if others were involved but went free . . . )

I wondered a lot about Dwight Jr. since the author barely mentions him after Anne marries Charles. There's not a lot about him online . . . not that I've dug deeply. I loved when he and Anne were joking around when Lindbergh called her. Sibling fun!

When they had their first baby, I was horrified by "the Watson method" for raising children! To suppress the maternal instinct belies the way we are designed to care for our young! This part made me wonder a lot more about Lindbergh's own mom and dad and how they raised him. Later, when he told Anne to forget about their murdered child and move on, it was like another death blow. How does a marriage survive something like this?

The fact that he admired Hitler and was of like mind . . . I'm pretty sure that's historically accurate. "Lucky Lindy" allied himself with the Germans prior to WWII. I don't understand how he could be such good friends with Harry Guggenheim yet subscribe to Hitler's attitude toward Jewish people and the dangers they posed. This section also made me think about the "America First" attitude again prevalent in America . . .

The descriptor on the back of the case includes this: "The Aviator's Wife is a vividly imagined novel of a complicated marriage - revealing both its dizzying highs and its devastating lows." I found it interesting that the storyline moved from 1974 back to the 1920s, 30s, etc. Large chunks of their shared life were summarized in a few paragraphs. I think the author made some good choices, but ultimately I found myself frustrated with Anne for caving in to Charles so often, then choosing her own life, and denying him forgiveness on his death bed. Not sure how realistic this is, or what the Lindbergh children would think of it. It feels very autobiographical . . . but is fiction.

The vocal work was excellent.

Oh! The author's note was informative at the end of the book. And I can appreciate Anne's interest in moving to Germany prior to WWII, since they were hounded by the media everywhere else. The author described it as the worst paparazzi situation along with what Princess Diana experienced. Horrid!

Also, the fact that Anne's diary - her diary! - was heavily edited by Charles before his death makes me NOT want to read it. He tried to sanitize his image even via his wife's personal recollections!

I am interested in reading their daughter Reeve's book Under a Wing. . . 






No comments: