Sunday, September 30, 2018

The Summer Before the War

by Helen Simonson
Mari's copy loaned to me, paperback, 473 pages

Published: 2016
genre: historical fiction, WWI

My daughter-in-law loaned me this book she had recently read for a book club. I really enjoyed it (and set aside two other books I was reading to read this instead!) It makes me want to read Simonson's first title, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.

The characters are what really made this book work for me. Agatha Kent was the most nuanced and developed. Beatrice and Hugh are clearly the protagonists to watch. My favorite, though, was Snout. Bettina Fothergill was abhorent and Lord North was a piece of work.

The author weaves so many themes into this story. It would be a wonderful book club title indeed! Lots of topics for discussion. . . . but I am time-crunched and do not wish to include spoilers or teasers here. A wonderful work of historical fiction!

Page 291 - "It sometimes seemed as if the first two weeks were a thousand days long." This made me laugh! Yes, teaching is all-consuming and exhausting. Too true.

Page 325 - "'My point, dear girl, is that it is pointless to ask,' said Eleanor. 'Gossip is only corrosive to the spirit if one entertains it. Do as I do and let it roll off you like water off a duck's back.'" The idea that gossip is corrosive only if one thinks about it . . . I like her wisdom in talking to Beatrice over the distressing gossiping of the neighbors.

Page 450 - "He was happy to let go of the dream of . . . for he had no interest now in what seemed like the shallow trappings of fame and society." Sometimes life's most awful circumstances help us to get our priorities straight.

 

I wrote the above on 9.30.2018. I just finished listening to the audiobook, read by Fiona Hardingham. My comments above still fit. I'm glad I read the print book first! The war scene and North's treatment of Snout were so awful! 

Other car notes:

Bettina Fothergill / Celeste - what a contrast in women!

 

Beatrice's humiliations . . . trying to get the money her dad left her, having her manuscript given to someone else to publish, Mr. Poot's proposal . . . cringe! (Imagine people calling you a spinster at age 23!)


So very sad when Harry had to shoot Wolfie . . . I actually cried.

No comments: