Friday, September 14, 2018

Hound of the Baskervilles

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Hennepin County Library audiobook 5 CDs
read by Michael Page
genre: mystery, detective fiction

Although I've read this before, I've most recently seen a fun stage version (with only four actors and women in the roles of Holmes and Watson!) and a film version (a newer one than the old Basil Rathbone one that I've also seen before). It was fun to experience the full text again. I like old-style detective stories. There were some little details that I didn't recall, even though I remembered the characters and plot well.

One detail that jumped out to me was the mention of the "Anderson murders in North Carolina" when Sherlock Holmes was talking with Watson about tricky cases. So of course, I had to Google it. I'm not sure why Doyle used those words in his story, but they brought up a fellow named Tom Dula. Another site helped me figure out how the murder of a woman named Laura Foster was connected to my search: Stanford. Yep, I'm a nerd.

 

<Above posted 9.14.18. Below added 5.28.22>

 

I got the audiobook to listen to while I drive (Libby). It was read by Patrick Tull and was about 7 hours long. I enjoyed listening to it, and now I have only the fourth full-length Holmes novel that Doyle wrote left to read. Fun!

No comments: