Monday, June 11, 2018

Glass Sword

by Victoria Aveyard
Scott County Library audiobook 12 CDs
read by
genre: YA dystopian

Ugh! This has taken me forever to get through! Louie and I started it on a car trip, but didn't enjoy it as much as the first book. Then we listened to some more on another car trip. Then I fell asleep and got the CDs from the library again to re-listen. Why wasn't I getting into this story? Why didn't I care about Mare and Cal? Who was this nasty Colonel dude?

Here are some notes to my "re-listen":
- Gisa's broken hand is Mare's "fault" . . . how? Why does she think everything is about her? Gisa made her own choices and the silver guards were cruel.
- so much of this is overwrought, filled with self-recriminations, teen angst . . . how much is the text and how much is the narrator? Would I like this story better in print?
- Bree, Tramy, Shade, Mare, and Gisa . . . the Barrows are quite the family.
- She is so condescending to Kilorn! "Fish Boy" and thinking she has to protect him all the time
- She's a bit bloodthirsty about wanting to exact revenge on Maven by killing him with her own hands . . . then she's still somewhat lovelorn toward him and the closeness they shared. Yuk on both.
- she agonizes over stupid stuff, then kills mercilessly (the silvers in the control tower at the prison)
- I actually appreciate that I know the ending of the story already (I was awake for that part) because there are little snippets that make sense in light of how the ending goes.
- I'm pretty sure Louie and I totally skipped disc 8 by accident! I kept asking him "Who is John?" and he didn't know . . . but there was a large chunk of the story that we didn't get. It makes a bit more sense when you hear it all.
- Her lack of logic in cause / effect reasoning and if / then statements . . . this was crazy-making!
- This isn't a spoiler alert, but rather an idea that the text suggested . . . We infer that Shade and Farley were both in love and physically intimate, but there's a part toward the end that made me think, "Is Farley pregnant with Shade's child?!" I may have to read the next book to find out!

No comments: