Monday, June 11, 2018

You Need a Budget: The Proven System for Breaking the Paycheck-to-Paycheck Cycle, Getting Out of Debt, and Living the Life You Want

by Jesse Mecham
Hennepin County Library hardcover 200 pages
genre: non-fiction, financial literacy

I read through page 45 before it was due back at the library. Now I'm #31 on the waiting list, so here are some thoughts before they fade:

- this is similar to Dave Ramsey's stuff, but without a Christian perspective and with some small differences.
- the author's style is appealing and accessible
- that said, I thought about buying a copy of this book from Amazon to share with some people . . . except they don't have children and there are lots of references to child care expenses, saving for a child's college education, etc. That might be off-putting for the folks I'm thinking of . . .
- I am curious enough and engaged enough by his writing style to finish the book when I get it again.

I wrote the above in early April 2018, below on 6.11.18:

 His four rules are:
1. Give Every Dollar a Job
2. Embrace Your True Expenses
3. Roll With the Punches
4. Age Your Money

I won't explain them here - just read the book! This is more a reminder for me.

Page 53 - "Question everything. Once a year (I like to do this in January), question every one of your expenses. . . . Every single item should be on the table. Following the tactic of asking why six or seven times as it relates to any one of your line items will help you peel back the layers of that priority and really see it for what it is." This is tough for me because Louie and I have different priorities and perspectives. It's good for us to talk about it, though!

Pages 106-7 - ways to "sprint" to get where you need to be with budgeting: pick up freelance work or do odd jobs, sell your stuff, get intense about not spending, outsource your stuff. I'm not good about these things, but then we aren't in a really tough place right now, either.

Page 121 - "Navigating Yours, Mine, and Ours" - I thought about scanning or copying this entire section. Or just asking Louie to read it. This is a bit different from how we currently plan our budget. "It's too easy to assume that your priorities are the same as mine. Or that our priorities are always more important than mine. These quiet assumptions are what make budgeting as a couple stressful when it absolutely doesn't have to be. The key to keeping your priorities clear, and your budget stress-free, is communicating."

The chapter on "Budgeting as a Couple" is another one I wanted to copy from . . . "Technicalities aside, joint accounts also keep you from worrying about who earned what money. You've committed to being partners for life. It doesn't matter who earned what. It's one shared pool of money that is funding your shared life together. Embrace that and support one another on the journey." (pg. 125) 

I also really liked the chapter on "When You Feel Like Quitting." Good stuff here. I may still want to buy a copy of this book!

Pages 199-200 have lots of other resources:
www.youneedabudget.com/classes
www.youtube.com/YouNeedABudget
www.youneedabudget.com/blog
etc. . . .

No comments: