Monday, January 22, 2018

Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures

by Kate DiCamillo
Hennepin County Library audiobook, 4 CDs
read by Tara Sands
genre: children's adventure fiction

Although I love DiCamillo, this title just didn't work for me. The reader, Sands, did a fine job with the vocal work. I think it was just too "young" to appeal . . . I try to think of the reader who would love a book. For this one, a smart, imaginative 8-10 year old seems about right.

My reaction as a "reader" was that Flora is an incredible brat. She ignores her mom, is bossy toward her adult neighbor . . . Though her character is developed more fully as the story goes along. This is clearly for younger readers with short chapters and simple sentences (though DiCamillo adds in some challenging vocabulary for those young readers!).

Ah. Her mom is neglectful and unkind; that's why Flora is such a brat toward her.

William Spiver is just plain irritating.

The "Terrible Things Can Happen to You" and the comic books in general were my favorite part.

No comments: