Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett

by Chelsea Sedoti
Hennepin County Library hardcover 383 pages
audiobook 2/8 CDs . . . read by Jessica Almasy
genre: YA realistic fiction

I did not like this book. Because of the audiobook's reader's voice? (I had to return them to the library after only getting through two of them.) Because I wasn't in the mood for angsty teen fic? Because it's inane?

I'm honestly not sure, but I tried to finish by speed-reading it because I disliked it so much.
Notes:
  • self-centered narrator (Hawthorn)
  • Cool names - Hawthorn and her brother Rush (short for Rushford)
  • egocentric, bad attitude
  • friend Emily - how did they become and stay friends?!?! (answered later . . . )
  • wishing "curses" on people / mildly amusing / very creative / may well have been my favorite part of the book! (example below)
  • what a whiner!
  • overactive imagination
  • very immature
  • werewolves? Seriously?
Page 178 - "Maybe it was my own fault that I didn't have a real boyfriend. Or friends. Or a social life." Um - ya think?!? Ugh! I don't know why this character bugged me so much. She was so incredibly self-focused and thought everything that people said and did reflected on her and what they were thinking and saying about her!

Page 307 - "'Hawthorn, you've got it in your head that I'm supposed to, I don't know, be the hero of your story. But I'm not. Life doesn't work like that, OK? You need to let people be who they are, not who you want them to be. Stop making everything so complicated.'" Tell her, Enzo!

Part I liked! The curses Hawthorn dished out (after her mom told her when she was little not to wish something truly awful, like death) - When her mom's friends the hippies showed up - page 130. "I wished all their tents would blow away. I wished the government would place a ban on tie-dye and unwashed hair. I wished their pot would turn into oregano." These rants that Hawthorn had were so amusing! Too bad there were only a half-dozen in the entire book.

No comments: