Thursday, July 13, 2017

The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle

by Janet Fox
Scott County Library hardcover 388 pages
Scott County audiobook 6/8(?) CDs
read by Fiona Hardingham
genre: YA spooky

This was creepier than I anticipated. Louie and I listened to it on our way to and from the lake, but I had to return it to the library, so I got a print copy to finish. I'm not a very good listener! There were so many things I missed . . . I read chapters 44-48, which we had already listened to, and had missed some important info!

During the London blitz of WWII, Kat and her younger brother and sister go to a boarding school in Scotland to keep them safe. There are other children there, but not many. They're locked in their rooms overnight - "for their safety" - and evil, mechanical beings, ghosts, hidden passages, a German spy, and other elements make them anything but safe. The chatelaine and the evil history-defying Lady Leonore / Eleanor were truly creepy. It had a happily ever after ending, which I appreciated. Cook was my favorite character.

No comments: