Wednesday, July 05, 2017

The Summer of the Pike

by Jutta Richter,
translated by Anna Brailovsky
PRMS deleted hardcover 92 pages
genre: YA realistic fiction

This book was so sad! The mom of Daniel and Lucas has cancer. Their friend Anna's dad left and her mom is not affectionate. The adults don't want the kids to know about the cancer. . . (always frustrates me! The kids are clearly aware that something is wrong! Why not talk in an honest and age-appropriate way about what is happening?!)

page 37 - kids are doubting God's existence. They compare him to Santa Claus and the Easter bunny, which their parents encouraged them to believe and they later found was a complete lie. This is a pet peeve for me.

page 53 - Anna's mom is so unfeeling! She doesn't even want to hug her daughter. Anna overheard her saying she wished she'd had a son.

page 70 - Anna missing her dad. "I don't believe I ever longed for my father more than I did that evening." So sad . . .

No comments: