Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Uncommon Learning: Creating Schools That Work for Kids

by Eric C. Sheninger
Colleague's copy, paperback 194 pages plus appendices
genre: non-fiction education

I am not ready to review this book, but it confirms for me that I need to not be teaching at PRMS any more. The goals are lofty and some of the paradigm shifts are overdue. But children are still children and I'm not convinced that the majority of our students are mature enough to be "in charge" of their own learning. Student-centered education has not looked like the ideals put forth in this book, in my experience. I scanned the chapter on MakerSpaces (which is why the book was loaned to me) and it broke my heart. Clearly, I am the crusty old professional they wish to be rid of and I hope they can replace me with the dynamic young thing they're looking for.

No comments: