Saturday, December 31, 2016

Empire of Storms

Throne of Glass book 5
by Sarah J. Maas
Hennepin County Library hardcover 689 pages
genre: YA fantasy

Arg! Once again, I read a book in this series even though I do NOT love her writing style. And once again, I want to read the next book in the series to find out what happens!

Don't like:
  • how the characters don't seem consistent in their own storylines from one book to another
  • assumptions / jumps being made . . . or perhaps I'm not reading carefully enough to follow nuances
  • choppy plot development
  • references to long-dead rulers, various gods, etc. Who ARE these people?!
  • overdone sex scenes . . . but if I were a sixteen-year-old, these probably would have been my favorite parts
Like:
Obviously, the characters have some resonance with me as a reader, since I want to find out what happens to them. Elide, Aelin, Rowan, Manon, Dorian, Chaol . . . and so many others.
I like how the battles turned out. And I like Aelin's sauciness.

No comments: