Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bitter Is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart-ass, or Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office: A Memoir

by Jen Lancaster
Hennepin County Library paperback 400 pages
genre: memoir, humor

I'm not sure where I saw a review of this, but it piqued my interest. I didn't find it super-funny, but Lancaster is very witty. I couldn't relate to her high-powered executive days (or her fashionista shopping habits), but she tells the story so well that I liked her and wanted to know more. After 9/11 and losing her job, Lancaster and Fletch (her boyfriend, then husband) had to move to a less-expensive rental. Her job search and subsequent selling off of her former (expensive) possessions led her to some soul-searching. I enjoyed this book a lot, but will probably not read the others she's written (though they definitely have fun titles!)

No comments: