Saturday, July 13, 2013

Divergent

by Veronica Roth
PRMS paperback 487 pages
genre: YA dystopian adventure romance

I'm so glad I read this! I like it a lot better than some of the other dystopian stuff I've read lately. Tris (Beatrice) has been raised in the Abnegation faction, but doesn't feel that she belongs there. She struggles too much with serving others and being selfless. When she goes to be tested, she learns that she is Divergent and can choose her faction. But she is also warned not to let anyone know; it is very dangerous to be Divergent. She chooses Dauntless (after watching her brother Caleb choose Erudite). Amity and Candor are the other factions. Four (Tobias) is one of her trainers in Dauntless, but he becomes her friend and then her love interest as the story progresses. I'm intrigued enough to want to read the second book, Insurgent!

Also Peter, Eric (nasties), Christina, Al (friends) and the evil mastermind of Erudite. At the end of this story, our heroes are safely tucked away in Amity, but aware that the temporary refuge will not last.

added 2/24/14:
Notes that I had on a piece of paper at the lake -
Tris (Beatrice)
Four (Tobias)

5 Factions - Dauntless / Abnegation / Amity / Erudite / Candor

Peter
Eric
Christina
Al
brother - Caleb

4 stars out of 5

Interesting that the movie is out next month and this is a super popular book right now. All three of my school copies are out and I have a waiting list! I haven't yet had time to read book #2 (which is probably also checked out). Good stuff!



The audiobook was narrated by Emma Galvin. Her vocal work was fantastic! I remember really disliking book two . . . and have never read book three. After listening to this, I kind of want to watch the movie again. Not sure what it is about this story that I like so much.

No comments: