Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Bedpan Commando: The Story of a Combat Nurse during World War II

by June Wandrey
Mayo Clinic Libraries via ILL, paperback 234 pages
genre: memoir

The author signed the title page, "You honor me when you read my book." I don't suppose she's still alive (22 in 1942), but what an amazing story she has shared. Put together from letters and other documentation (written in 1989), this reads almost like a diary from the war. The story could have used some stronger editing for flow, but it's visceral reality comes through powerfully. She seems to have been a dynamo who didn't necessarily like following the rules.

I'd like to write more, but I'll have to get back to it later. One impressive thing about Minnesota libraries - I asked my librarian at the Eden Prairie branch to get this for me. I had looked in Minitex and knew there were copies in the state, but it was so very nice to have her request it for me.

No comments: