Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Throne of Fire

by Rick Riordan
PRMS hardcover 447 pages
book two in the Kane Chronicles
genre: fantasy, Egyptian mythology

Sadie and Carter are at it again - saving the world while having bizarre experiences as Egyptian magicians. I LOVE the voices of these two young people - Riordan can embody the voice and attitude of a 13-year-old British girl - simply amazing. They need to find three pieces of a scroll so they can awaken Ra and prevent Apophis from rising. They have been busy training initiates, but Carter is obsessing about finding Zia and Sadie is trying to figure out her personal love triangle with Anubis and Walt.
Reading these makes me curious about Egyptian mythology, something I know little about. I'm not sure why students don't seem to like this series as well as the Percy Jackson books . . . are they more challenging to read? Do the two narrators throw them off? Is Egyptian mythology less accessible than Greek? I'm appreciative of Riordan's talent. I like that there is humor in with the action and adventure.

No comments: