Monday, June 18, 2012

Brush Up Your Shakespeare

by Michael Macrone
Hennepin County Library, hard cover, 225 pages
genre: Literary non-fiction

I want to OWN this! Subtitled "A delightfully entertaining guide to the most famous and quotable expressions from the Bard," the author did an amazing job researching Shakespeare quotations. Interestingly enough, some that we consider his were published elsewhere first (like "it's Greek to me") and the author carefully explains that some others attributed to Shakespeare may have originated elsewhere. If he couldn't find earlier documentation, he gave credit to the play or sonnet in which WS used it first.

I stumbled upon this title when I was trying to find the source of the readers' theatre piece we use during the Medieval banquet at school. Fun for word nuts like me!

No comments: