Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain

by Garth Stein
PRMS paperback 321 pages
genre: dog fiction

Told from Enzo's point of view, this is a story of life and racing. Chapter one started with an old dog, ready to die. It was sad from the get-go. Enzo tells his life's story, especially as it intertwines with his owner Denny's life. I was crying so hard toward the end that I couldn't finish reading it until later. I was so angry at Denny's in-laws! And to know that there are people like that makes me sad.

I am not a believer in the idea of reincarnation, but for Enzo to want to come back as a human made sense for the story. Loved it!

1 comment:

UK said...

This book started a bit slow for me. At first I had a hard time with all the racing analogies, but eventually I actually enjoyed them right along with the story. I would recommend this book. A bit sad, but still a good story. I liked the writing style, very smooth.