Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Lady in Waiting

by Susan Meissner
Hennepin County Library audioCDs 10 hours
read by Donna Rawlins and Samantha Eggar

A dual story of Jane Lindsay, whose husband walks away from their marriage, and Lady Jane Grey, told from her seamstress Lucy's perspective, this book was not fun for me. The genuine surprise when Brad says he's not sure he loves his wife any more bothered me. The historical aspect of the tragic Jane of middle ages was more to my liking. Interesting stuff, the intrigue and power plays of those closest to power. I really liked the letters at the end, telling the story of the ring that the modern-day Jane could never know.

Our discussion was lively, as usual, with Kim E and I seeing much of it the same way. Women and choices . . .

4/8/13
I did a re-listen (it's been two years - I didn't really remember when I grabbed it at the library).
Dislike: modern Jane's wishy-washy personality and overbearing mother
Like: the story of the ring and the historical fiction that makes me want to know more about the Tudors.
Both vocal performers were great!

No comments: