Monday, March 14, 2011

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More

by Roald Dahl
Mary Verbick's copy, paperback, 225 pages
genre: short story collection, life

Mary recommended "The Swan," which she uses with her students. It disturbed me, but Dahl's work sometimes does. Reactions:

The Boy Who Talked With Animals - mob mentality, arrogance of the rich, poor tortoise, glad the boy rescued him and he rescued the boy!

The Hitchhiker - funny, but I can't believe the driver took the taunt to speed. Love how it ends.

The Treasure of Mildenhall - cool message at the end, though when Gordon Butcher went to get Ford, I thought "NO!" Interesting how greed can warp people. Silver vs. pewter . . . nice.

The Swan - I hate bullies and senseless violence.

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar - long and involved. Interesting. I didn't expect the ending. Again, themes of greed, wealth, and manipulation play here.

Lucky Break - How I Became a Writer - my favorite!!! Very cool autobiographical story of Dahl's young life and unexpected start as an author. Love it!

A Piece of Cake - first story Dahl penned for Forrester to write up as a piece for the Saturday Evening Post. Very cool how this changed his life!

No comments: