Saturday, October 30, 2010

Finding God in the Lord of the Rings

by Kurt Bruner & Jim Ware
home paperback, 117 pages
genre: theology

This has taken me more than two years to read! I couldn't decide if it was intriguing or far-fetched. By the end I decided that the authors are devoted Christians who are LOTR buffs as well (a good fit for me). This is actually written almost like a devotional, but each section is much longer than the traditional daily devo that most of us use. They make some good points. It's interesting to hear people theorize about Tolkien's faith (or lack thereof). Some people vehemently deny that he had any Christianity at work in his life or writing and others who point out his close relationship with Christian author C.S. Lewis. Maybe someday I'll read some Tolkien biographies. Interesting to read the parallels in LOTR themes and Biblical teachings.

No comments: