Monday, October 04, 2010

The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud

by Ben Sherwood
Dakota County Library, hardcover, 273 pages
genre: romance, supernatural

Charlie feels guilty about the accident that killed his little brother Sam. Since Charlie was dead for ten minutes before paramedic Florio shocked him back into life, Charlie can see and talk to dead people. He has made a promise to his brother to always be there for him, and as the cemetary caretaker, he keeps his promise. Every night, the brothers play ball, swim, and talk. Then Tess Carroll comes into Charlie's life.

I suspect that this is one story where I may actually enjoy the movie more than the book . . . I'll have to watch the movie to test that theory out. The most frustrating aspect of this book to me was the New Age-y approach to the afterlife. Hokey and sentamental, this is better than Nicholas Sparks, but not by much. I'm going to try really hard to *listen* during our book club discussion and not just spout my opinion.

No comments: