Monday, May 24, 2010

Shanghai Girls

by Lisa See
PRMS paperback 309 pages
genre: historical fiction, China, relationships

I finally finished this, even though the book club discussion was last week . . . it was a sad story, filled with sorrow and disappointment. I think the thing that shocked me most was seeing the picture of the author on the back page. She doesn't look oriental at all! I definitely empathized more with Pearl. May just seemed too selfish and shallow. Sam was my favorite character, though, and his story most resonated for me. What a powerful story!

The above was written on 5/24/10. I added the notes below in spring 2017.

I grabbed the audiobook because I didn't remember the details of the story and enjoyed the vocal work by Janet Song on this. WARNING: There are spoilers in my notes!!!
  •  Pearl is so sad, she feels so unworthy
  • the Japanese - murdered the wheelbarrow puller, raped Mam. No, Pearl! Stay in hiding! Mom's strength - wow. so sad.
  • "What can I do?" This got old after a while - Pearl is such a victim. (What did I think of this the first time I read it? My notes above don't indicate.)
  • arranged marriages . . . Sam is a good guy, but Vern is only 14 years old! And he has issues . . . 
  • conversation with Sam and Pearl - the honesty and closeness - I loved this!
  • "None of that Jesus thinking sank into us." - Pearl's observations of the missionaries in Shanghai and how her family got what they wanted without buying in to the beliefs.
  • white - the color of death
  • Sam's suicide . . . devastating.
  • perceptions / jealousy, victimhood, accusations, honesty, built-up resentments
  •  ending - what?!?! Pearl is going to Red China to find Joy? Ugh!
  • Sisters' story, really.

No comments: