Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Monk Downstairs

by Tim Farrington
Hennepin County Library, paperback, 276 pages

This was going to be our book club book, but Jodi changed to a different one. This didn't read much like a "Christian" book, but it was very interesting. The main conflict for Michael Christopher was the struggle between the contemplative life and the life of action. After twenty years in the monastery, he was trying to figure out what to do with his life. His landlord, Rebecca, is a single mom with struggles of her own and God has no part in her life.

The thing that didn't work for me is that the author seems to be saying (or trying to say) something significant about God. Only he doesn't really have anything to say. I read the author interview, the endnotes, the discussion questions, etc. It makes me sad, but I think this talented writer is another victim of the Catholic church and general detachment from the living Word of God. Jesus changes lives, He doesn't stifle them, especially not through prayer. Very sad.

My favorite parts of this book were the friendship that developed between Mary Martha and Michael, Rebecca's zany mom Phoebe, and Rebecca NOT "settling" for Bob. I'm glad I read it, but I won't rush out to get the sequel.

No comments: