Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Peak

by Roland Smith
Hennepin County Library, paperback, 246 pages

This is the third MHL nominee I've read and so far it's my favorite. I loved it! This made me cry, but the action-adventure momentum also kept me reading. I think kids will really enjoy this one.

Peak is a climber stuck in NYC, so he begins scaling skyscrapers. When he gets in trouble, his mom and stepdad don't know how to keep him out of juvenile detention. That's when his father, famous climber Josh Wood, steps in to take Peak with him to China. Only Josh's plan is to get Peak to the summit of Everest.

Cool and believable. Lots of details. Interesting characters. Fun book!

Note added 10/14/14:

Peak - teenage protagonist
Josh - his dad
Mom - not sure what her real name is . . .
Rolf - stepdad
Patrice & Paula - "the two Peas" -
Sun-jo - teenage Sherpa climbing with Peak
Holly Angelo - obnoxious reporter trying to climb Everest
Vincent - the teacher who makes Peak write about his experience (in a Moleskin notebook)
Yogi - Sherpa
Yash - Sherpa
Zopa

No comments: